Saturday 9 February 2008

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

Sorry Brooke, but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I hated this book. I found it simplistic and shallow. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was written by a 16 year old for an audience of 16 year olds. No wonder the movie tanked.

The characters were not developed and not likeable. The story was predictable and unrealistically perky.

If you want to read a very good book about the death of your spouse and how the grief rolls in like a heavy fog read The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. But avoid this absolute rubbish. Unless you want your brain to turn to mush.

5 comments:

Cliff said...

But other than that did you like it?

Janell said...

Cliff, don't you just hate it when she holds back and doesn't tell us exactly what she's really thinking? ;)

Shirley said...

I've listened to a couple of interviews with Joan Didion, now that you recommeded her book, I'll try to get to it. Thanks.

Myrnagj said...

I heard Elizabeth Gilbert interviewed on NPR and thought she sounded rather arrogant. Soooo I decided not to read her book. A friend was reading it and said she was enjoying it. I still didn't read it. Now I'm really glad I didn't waste my time.

I read The Year of Magical Thinking and it took a long time. I like Joan Didion's writing and it takes me a while to read her books.

Anonymous said...

My brain has been mush for years.