Saturday 1 September 2012

End of Summer

I love autumn.  I love the colours of the leaves.  I love their crunch under my feet when I walk.  I love the crispness of the morning.  I love the way the air fills with smell of the earth.  I love the harvest celebrations.  Oh, I just love autumn.

Except for one niggly little thing:  for autumn to begin, summer must end and I hate the end of summer.

This summer has flown by.  It seems like just yesterday that I was sitting at my window watching the rain fall all through the months of May and June (literally).  I kept consoling myself with promises that the sun would come out tomorrow.  It never did.

And then July rushed in and before I knew what hit me, the children were out of school and I was racing around like a headless chicken packing suitcases and catching taxis to airports.

When I originally planned this summer's holidays, I thought 3 weeks in America would be plenty.  I thought my sister would be kicking us to the curb happy to see our backs out the door careful not to let it hit our backsides. 

Instead, just like every other time, there wasn't enough time to do all the things we wanted to do or see all the things or people we wanted to see.  Our summer holiday was packed with more adventures than you can shake a stick at.  We made memories that will last a lifetime.  We caught up with old friends and made some new ones.  I cried like a baby when we drove away from my sister's house and headed back to the UK.

The summer Olympics have come and gone for another 4 years.  I've eaten my last ice cream cone by the seaside.  I've walked by last beach in my bare feet.  I've seen only one live baseball game.  The nights have turned cold and we are contemplating turning the hearting on in the house.  I've unpacked my winter jumpers and put away my shorts, summer dresses, and sandals.  I've thrown that old swimming costume in the rubbish bin.  I'm thinking I might make chili for supper next week.  The nights are getting longer.  The days are getting shorter.  Soon the clocks will fall back and we will get up before the sun, if it ever even bothers to shine at all.  Grey, cold, damp and dreary nights will haunt us.

Before you know it, Christmas will be upon us, snow will be threatening havoc on our roads and the pile of boots, mittens, scarves, and hats will spill all over the kitchen floor.

But no, not just yet.....please mother nature, give me one more day.  Give me one more day of unadulterated sunshine on my face.  Just one more day of summer.......

No comments: