Friday 15 March 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I understand this is the debut novel from Gillian Flynn.  I can only say, I hope she writes the next one quickly because I can't wait to see if this is a one off.

I was completely mesmerized and captivated by this story. I couldn't put it down. I was tempted every 20 pages or so to jump to the end and read the last 5 pages. I just had to know how it ended. I resisted the temptation and am very glad I did.

I hated both the main characters, Nick and Amy, so much so that I wanted them both to come to a sticky end.  But the same way you slow down at the scene of a road traffic accident, I just had to keep reading.  How was this all going to end?  Who was going to win the ultimate battle of the psychopaths?

In the immediate aftermath of finishing the book, the ending spoilt everything that came before it. I'm not going to give it away and I have tried and tried to come up with a better ending. I don't have a good suggestion although I have to say it would have been anyone but the one it got.

And then I slept on it. And now I realise it was the perfect ending. For the perfect psychopath(s). I wouldn't change a thing.

As for Flynn's next novel, will she be able to match the wildly unpredictable and clever ending.  Or was this the most original idea she will ever have?  I'm hoping for the former.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars and highly recommend it for books groups.  Ours were evenly divided between those who loved the ending and those who hated the ending.  No punches were thrown.

2 comments:

Alex in Leeds said...

Hiya, I love being the one to tell you this... Gone Girl's her third novel. :) If you loved it this much you should check out her first two, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. They're both pretty dark and conflicted with plenty of plot twists.

LaDawn said...

That's the best news I've heard all year. Going to check out the back catalogue! Thanks.