Tuesday 27 November 2007

Colfax Avenue

One of the things I miss most about living in the USA is getting a copy of the Sunday New York Times delivered to my home. I used to spend an entire week sorting my way through the vast volumes of news the paper delivered.

When I moved to the UK, I looked into getting the paper delivered to me here. The cost was exorbitant and I wouldn't have received the paper until midweek. Both reasons proved enough to prevent me from doing so. With the advances in the digital world and the internet I used to subscribe to the paper online but this was back in the days when I had to pay for the service and the download time made it an excrutiatingly painful process.

How much this has all changed! New York Times abridiged edition delivered to my hotmail account every day. Free!

This means I catch up on the news from my hotmail account in short spurts equivalent to reading the headlines without any of the annoying adverts.

Imagine my surprise when I found that my beloved Colfax Avenue in Colorado had made it to the headlines. I blogged about this infamous stretch of road in two different blog posts: one about my Hardest Job and one about my First Job both of which were located at two differnt locations but both on Colfax Avenue. Nice to read somethings never change and everything changes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 100% certain the NY Times misses you to! These days, their paper is not even lining most people's bird cages.

Fact: In the six months that ended Sept. 25 2007, The New York Times' daily circulation was down another 4.51 percent to about a million readers a day. The paper's Sunday circulation was down 7.59 percent to about 1.5 million readers.

Meanwhile, the drudge report has about 16 million readers a day.

Content, Content, Content...Bias, Bias, Bias...

By the way, I have a "Colfax Avenue". Its Market Street in Cleveland, where I had my first job carrying bags for people for a dollar tip. Then I moved up to selling fruit... Ahhhhh the memories...

Sue said...

Colfax Ave. is one of the streets that I remember on my visits to Denver. Isn't Casa Bonita on that street? Is it still there?
When we were little the only vacations we ever took were to Denver and later Englewood to visit
Aunt Julia and Uncle Harley.
Sue

Myrnagj said...

I once lived a few blocks from Colfax Avenue on Corona Street. I can't remember if it was east or west. I could name the streets for many blocks. Now I can only remember that Downing was the one after Corona. I think that corner had a Hi's Hamburgers at Colfax. I could also name the most of the streets named after Indians, Native Americans. I remember three, Acoma, Bannock, Cheyenne. Julia and Harely lived on Acoma. I worked at Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph on Curtis street and Larimer was the street to stay away from.
Now I have to go back and finish reading that article.

LaDawn said...

Casa Bonita is on that street. I would argue that most people who lived in Colorado have memories of Colfax Avenue. I will blog about my high school memories.

stephanie said...

I just got coupons for the Bonita yesterday. The food is awful but it is fun for the kids.