Wednesday 1 August 2007

What I Know For Sure

Some of you may know Barabas. I’ve never met him but he faithfully visits my blog and leaves his highly opinionated, sometimes judgemental, but always insightful, entertaining and thought provoking comments to my posts.

Barabas made some statement about who I am based on what I say in my blog (and in comments I leave on other blogs we both visit). I’d like to clear up any impression I may have given to him and any other readers.

  1. I so believe in individualism. I just believe that some cultures do a better job at encouraging individualism than others. America is a place where homogeneity and following the pack is recommended. Although breaking away is occasionally rewarded.

  2. I wouldn’t say I’m odd or very unique. I would say that my life’s experiences have left me in a very small pool of people with similar demographics and experiences. I wish I had the courage to swim against the current more often. I do know many people who share my opinions. I know a lot of people don’t. This makes the world an interesting place to live. We have a lot to learn from each other.

  3. The world would be a better place if some of the politics of the US were a bit more thoughtful of the other inhabitants of the planet. This kind of goes back to point 1 above. Not everyone wants to live the same way the US or the UK or Australia or Japan or Korea do. Not everyone thinks one or another way is best. This isn’t an insult. Just let other people live the way they want to live in their own country. And don’t be a bully about it. There are of course limits. Genocide is a limit. The world citizens should act and encourage their governments to act.

  4. Materialism is bad. No good can come from coveting thy neighbour's goods. Living beyond your means and buying 4 pairs of £300 jeans on your credit card is bad. Envying Paris Hilton and all she stands for is bad.

  5. It does appear to me that we are contributing to Global Warming and if we can reduce our tendency to burn up the earth’s natural resources needlessly then we should do everything we can to stop. Maybe we aren’t responsible for global warming. Maybe all the science is wrong. But it can’t hurt to reduce our C02 emissions and dependency on oil from countries with oppressive governments and violent religious tendencies.

  6. Some people will always be evil but how can you argue with the fact that yes, if people were nicer to each other the world would be a better place? Just because others are evil doesn't mean you have to be.

  7. I do believe that there can be a balance between the drive towards excellence of the individual and a social conscience way of living. It is a difficult balance. Governments and the individuals they represent struggle with it every day.

  8. Every child in the world should have access to basic health care including immunizations and mosquito nets.

  9. Every child in the world should have access to education.

  10. Rich does not equal bad. Bill & Melinda Gates are using their wealth to change the world. If all wealthy people did this the world would be a different place.

  11. Peace on earth does not require a very strong military super power to act as the world’s police force. It does require a coalition of the world’s nations to have a dialogue and take corrective action when a nation’s leaders or citizens behave badly and don’t act for the greater good of all.

  12. 9/11 was a tragedy. It was not an inside job. It was not the fault of the people of the US. Not sure how anyone could ever doubt my position on this.

  13. One man’s freedom fight is another man’s terrorist. Avoid violence. Encourage dialogue.
There is more to me than these 13 points. My husband has known me for almost 8 years and he still doesn’t know all of me. I’m still discovering me myself. As I live each day I am on a journey of discovery. I learn something new every day. I educate myself and sometimes as a result of the dialogue I change my mind. There are very few things I know for sure.

1 comment:

Janell said...

I love reading the dialogues between you & Joe - actually between Joe and anyone. I know you won't be surprised to find that I'm usually in agreement with him.
These 13 points of your's are very insightful.