Monday 16 July 2007

Love in the Present Tense by Catherine Ryan Hyde

I have had this book sitting by the bed for a long time. It's one of those books that looks good but something else always looks just a wee bit better.

A five year old boy is left by his mother with a 25 year old neighbour they barely know. At least, that's the simple bit. Written in short chapters from different character's perspectives, this tells the complex and tragic story of how they all got to be where they are. And the little boy teaches all the adults a thing or two about love.

This is really a very simple little story about unconditional love. And how badly adults are at it. I like this book. It was quick and easy to read and I couldn't put it down once I started. I loved all the characters although I''m not sure how believable the story was. Somehow I don't think that was the point.

3 comments:

Janell said...

Just checking in so you'll know I read your review. Also, I picked up Flags of our Fathers (the book, not the movie) and The Lemon Tree (didn't you recommend that one or did I hear about it elsewhere?) at the library and put myself next on the list for the Kite Runner for when it gets checked back in.

LaDawn said...

I haven't read Flags of our Fathers - just saw the film. I know nothing about The Lemon Tree. Hope you get Kite Runner soon!

Sue said...

I,too, am waiting for TKR. I saw the movie Flags of our Fathers. Probably won't read the book. I am not into war novels.
Sue