Saturday 15 December 2007

Party Carousel

Phew....I have sat down for the first time in about 5 days! I am sure that it is Saturday morning but only because my children are home from school and I do not have to go to work. But in just a couple hours I will be out the door again.

Our former neighbour, Gill, is treating me and the children to a production of Monster Hits at Norden Farm. We are so looking forward to it.

Last week was an endless carousel of Christmas parties, at work, at school, with friends. I had several evenings where I didn't get home before 1 am. We danced. We drank. We ate. We laughed. We have more than excessively done the Merry bit.

The company Christmas party was one of the best I've been to. My company is not renowned for throwing great Christmas parties but we outdid ourselves this year and just about everybody hit the dance floor for several hours! I doubt we were very productive the next day.

The children had Christmas parties on Thursday at school and Sebastian was sad to see one of his classmates, Hannah, go. She and her family are moving to Australia. Hannah and Sebastian have sat next to each other at their work tables since Reception and have grown quite close. Sebastian shed a few tears when he was unsure who he will work with in the New Year. Abigail was in her element partying the morning away at school. She talked a mile minute telling us all about that evening.

One of the biggest highlights of our Christmas celebrations is always the Carol Service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle. The children spend the morning of their very last day of term at the service. One is struck by the sheer beauty of the architecture of the chapel and then the vast history contained within those Gothic walls simply overwhelms you. And then the children begin to sing. And it is magic. The last verse of O Come All Ye Faithful never fails to bring tears to my eyes. The choir is stunningly talented. It is one of the few times I see a chapel of that size and grandeur packed to standing room only.

My last day in the office is Monday. I will have some time off dedicated to shopping and holiday preparations. We've got still more parties to attend. Our babysitters are loving it!

And hopefully, I'll have a wee bit more spare time to pontificate here. Be safe in your holiday celebrations and remember only 9 more shopping days left!

No comments: