Sunday 14 October 2007

Am I Dreaming?

This baseball season just simply couldn't get any better for me. Or maybe it couldn't get any worse.

The Colorado Rockies are winning the National League Championship Series 2 games to nil. Not even sure if the D'backs are bothering to show up. The Rockies have absolutely dominated the pitchers mound! They have won 19 of their last 20 games and they have a chance to seal the deal on 14 October at 8:30 (MST) which is 7 hours behind GMT. Which means I will undoubtedly get very little sleep on Sunday night/Monday morning.

GO Rockies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in the American League Championship game the Red Sox are tied with the Cleveland Indians at 1 game all after an amazing (and disappointing) 11th inning last night.

C'mon Sox!!!!!!!

Now comes the tricky part. It would be a dream to see the Rockies in the World Series. It would be a dream to see the Red Sox in the World Series. it would be a disaster for me personally to have them play against each other. Who do I root for?

In other sporting news: England won against France in the semi final of the Rugby World Cup last night. I am not a big Rugby fan and after the humiliating loss of England's first game to South Africa 36-0 I was reticent to watch anymore. But last week England beat Australia 12-10 in the last 20 minutes of the game. And last night they did the same to France.

After an early try scored for England, France dominated the game and led most of the way. But then England pulled out all the stops. I'm not sure where they got the energy. They must have dug deep and the French must have been hugely frustrated. No matter how hard they ran, how hard they played England stopped them dead in their tracks. Two kicks saved England and after an agonising 2 minutes of injury time during which the French threatened to score, England was ultimately victorious with a final score of 14-9.

Tonight South Africa take on Argentina to determine who will play England in the final game next week.

One question which is constantly posed to me and I am weak to defend is why is the baseball championship called the World Series when only 2 nations play in it? Both the Rugby World cup and the Football (soccer) World Cup have teams from all over the world. Any answers?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because we rule.

LaDawn said...

Somehow I don't think that is the answer.

Anonymous said...

agreed.
Hopefully the Cleveland Indians will help you with your potential dilemna and eliminate the Red Sox.

Not sure if you watched the entire indians game Sat night, but red sox fan or not, you have to admit it was an awesome game.

I am predicting Tribe / Rockies in the series. Unfortunately, I think the Tribe / Redsox will go seven games while the Rockies D-Backs go 5 games.

MLB is a global sport, there are no countries on the planet that could put together a team that could be the US's best players. MLB also includes people from all over the world, including JAPAN, all of Latin America, etc.

Same goes for the NBA, the only people that could beat the US team in the Olympics for example, is the US team itself.

Now, the US did not win the gold medal in baseball last olympics, but we are also not able to use our professionals, just college amatuers.

The liberal answer to this question would be. US imperialism and arrogance is behind calling the US championchip the world series.


Joe B

LaDawn said...

I doubt I will have to worry about the tribe taking out anyone....I can only catch highlights but those I saw did make it look like one I wished I hadn't missed.

No other countries in the world could put together those teams because very few people play the games outside the USA.

I am well aware of the multi cultural background of the players. In fact, if you read my blog you would have found this:

http://clare-panton.blogspot.com/2007/04/japanese-invasion.html

Anonymous said...

Went to the link, didn't have the data you did (That's a first, usually the other way around) and looks like.... Uh Oh.. we agreed again.
To me the MLB is justified in calling the world series the world series.

Anonymous said...

Went to the link, didn't have the data you did (That's a first, usually the other way around) and looks like.... Uh Oh.. we agreed again.
To me the MLB is justified in calling the world series the world series.