Thursday 4 October 2007

City Girl

I have a cousin named Valerie whom I love dearly. Pretty much my entire family had taken a road trip up to Weyland, Wyoming to see my cousin, Chris marry a local girl named, Sherry.

The afternoon was spent on a golf course playing a family round. My uncle, Ed, was serving margaritas off the back of one of the golf buggies.

The ceremony was short and sweet which was nearly our undoing since we were almost late due to our golf game running a bit over. But we made it in time. The margaritas meant we were had gotten a pretty good start on the merriness for the reception afterwards.

Some of Chris's university buddies were at the reception and everyone had a great time dancing. The highlight of the evening was when Stephanie, my beloved sister, grabbed the microphone out of the DJ's hands and starting singing her very own karaoke version of Prince's Little Red Corvette.

I do believe my Aunt Sandy (Chris's mother) was a wee bit horrified and was happy to see the back of us when the reception was over.

We had done a fairly good job of completely trashing my cousin's pickup with Wedding decorations including shaving foam and the ever useful condoms. Whilst they found it difficult to actually get into the truck and drive away we were proud of our handiwork!

The night was far from over for the party animals amongst us. This included Chris's uni buddies, my sister, and my cousins, Valerie and Buddy. On the way over to the bar, Valerie started telling everyone that she was a City Girl and could keep up with just about any country hick.

Valerie was a bit underage to go into a bar but that didn't stop this family from rallying around her when we entered the bar. And I mean literally around her.

Valerie is short. Like me and my sister, so we put her in the middle of the group and we all huddled and sort of shuffled in the door. I reckon this bar hadn't seen quite so many people enter at one time ever so they were a bit overwhelmed. Or maybe we were just a millte rambunctious.

Valerie continued to persist with her proclamation of her superior drinking abilities due to the fact that she was a "City Girl". Every shot she did she proclaimed she was a "City Girl". This worked right up until she passed out on the table. We just let her have a bit of a rest and we kept right on dancing.

I had a bit of a close encounter with a trash can and the waitress was really not very happy with me but we won't talk about that since this is my blog. Besides, the shot of tequila fixed everything right up!

The next morning the lot of us looked like we had all seen better days. Chris and Sherry are happily married living in Arizona with their 4 sons. And Valerie has never lived down her nickname as "City Girl".

11 comments:

Sue said...

When we were growing up, one of the worst things we could call each other was "City Kid" or "Baby City Kid." Now Janell is the only one that can use that kind of slur.
Sue

Janell said...

I love this story, although it nearly gives me a hangover just reading about all the tequila. I can picture you all staggering around and getting more obnoxious by the minute! Poor Valerie. Unexpectedly a legend in her own time.

Brooke said...

Oh the memories of golf outings with the Smiths. You made sure you had a designated driver. U know its going to be a good time when we all get together. I am very glad no one has done tequilla in my years of drinking with the family. Tequilla makes my head spin!

Sue said...

Ever heard the song "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall off"?
Sue

Brooke said...

oh yeah that is where i got that. one night after i had been out with the girls and we had done tequila. my boyfriend picked me up and that song was playing. That is the running joke with me with tequila.

stephanie said...

Actually, I think City Girl passed out before she even got one shot down. Now you and the trash can...it was more like you and the floor. And YES! the waitress was pissed. But, she kept on serving us. Only in Wyoming can you throw up on the floor, they hand you a trash can and then ask you what you would like to drink to wash your mouth out. This is a classic Smith retreat. Oh, Uncle Bob and Aunt Sandy are proud!

LaDawn said...

I knew I Stephanie would be the one to tell the side of the story I thought best to avoid....

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!! I was only 18 and should have known better to try and keep up with all of you guys. I didn't stop throwing up until we hit Casper which was 4 hours away it was the worse drive of my life. I also waking up to the best man because Steph kicked him out of her bed. I wonder why we didn't sleep in our own room? maybe Uncle Bob and Aunt Sandy would have idea:) City Girl

LaDawn said...

We were in our own room....it's just that everyone else was also in our room. I think it best not to discuss who was in who's bed at this point. It could turn ugly. :-)

Anonymous said...

True:)
City Girl

stephanie said...

Wake up Whipper! That ain't Buddy! ROFL. One of my favorite memories. Whipper, didn't you get a ticket for speeding on the way home too?