Tuesday 2 October 2007

Perfect Ending

There are so many baseball references used in the American English vocabulary: 3 strikes you're out, hit it out of the ballpark, tied at the bottom of the ninth with 2 outs and a full count.

Sometimes I accidentally use these when speaking to my English friends and colleagues. They just stare at me blankly. No one here gets baseball. At all!

I am very concerned about my behaviour in the office today. I am so excited. Everyone is going to think I've gone stark raving barking mad! And here's the reason why!

The Rockies, the Sox, and the Cubs have made it to the playoffs. It doesn't get any better than this. Well, until Cleveland and Arizona lose! Then bliss.

5 comments:

Janell said...

WOW! What a great game that must have been to watch!

LaDawn said...

And if anyone wants to challenge Halliday's score, I say bad calls are part of baseball.

Janell said...

Bad calls are a part of life itself. So you can either "cowboy up or just lay there and bleed."
By the way, I wonder if any of your colleagues would get it if you said, "We need to back up ten yards and punt." ? Or, "We got thrown on our a** right at the line of scrimmage." 32 years of being married to a sports fan has taught me a new language. And you thought Portugese was hard!

Anonymous said...

My wife tells me I am long on the Tee and have a great up and down game...

Janell said...

Well, Joe. That may be more than we needed to know, but to quote a Redneck hero of mine: You "may be a real bad boy, but baby (you're) a real good man..." How nice for your wife!