Tuesday 23 October 2007

Jostling for Position

Our home has two computers: 1 that the children use and 1 for the grownups. Or rather, grownup - ME!

At work I barely have time to pee. And I don't believe in using my work time to check my personal emails or write blog posts. And Facebook is blocked. So I try to use my time at home to use the computer. Either first thing in the morning or last thing at night. that's sometimes why you get 2 posts from me on any given day.

But now that my husband is a bio-diesel god and has quite a popular blog himself as well as a Facebook addiction rivalling my own, we are finding ourselves in constant competition for computer time in the evenings.

Now my argument is he's got more spare time during the day and a host of computers in his office to use for his purposes. I, on the other hand, do not.

Therefore, I reason, my request for computer time should take precedence over his. He insists that possession is 9/10 of the law and he makes sure he sits down before I do. Since I go to work first thing in the morning and I have to take a shower and get ready, I find him crowding the screen when I come downstairs and the children are eating their breakfast. Since I prepare the evening meal, I find him blogging away whilst I am making dinner. Since I read the children their bedtime stories I am the last downstairs in the evening and I invariably find him camped out in front of the computer.

I've tried coming up with a schedule to fairly distribute the available computer time. He laughs at the plan claiming it unfairly benefits my schedule. I just don't understand what is wrong with him blogging between the hours of midnight and 3 am.

What this means is that I get more blogging done on the weekend than during the week. This is a bit of a problem since most of my readers check the blog during the week and I see a sharp decline on the weekends.

I think I'll try to write a bunch of posts on the weekend and plan on posting them during the week. Of course, this only works when the post is not time sensitive and with most things in the electronic world of the web, time is of the essence.

I could write less. One reader complained that I posted too often but more readers expressed concern when I skipped 2 days in a row. My mother even rang worried something horrible had happened to me.

I'll try to stick to the at least once a day. And I'll use that stick to beat my husband off the computer! But if I skip a day, I blame him.

5 comments:

Janell said...

I can't understand why he would object to the midnight-3 am schedule either?:)

Sue said...

Midnight to 3 am is a good time to make airline reservations. (I read that somewhere). Sounds reasonable to me.
Sue

Shirley said...

Glad you got that settled.

Anonymous said...

We decided to get two laptops, one wireless interface to the broadband and voila, problem solved!

LaDawn said...

Clare -- that would be far toooooo easy!