Monday 3 November 2008

Libraries

In an attempt to do my bit for climate change and fiscal responsibility I was wondering around the local library for the latest book group selection. This is a big departure from my previously ingrained habits.


I love a book store. One of my favourite places in the world is Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver, Colorado. But I tell you, I don't need a fancy book store to lose time. Any old WH Smith or even the book aisle in the local supermarket can distract me for a good 30 minutes.

Not only is this not good from a time management perspective, this can be a bit rough on the bank balance as well. Books are expensive. Lots of books can bankrupt a person.

And I don't have a big enough house to have a library. I passed on what I could but inevitably I ended up with stacks of books destined for the recycle bin. Not good.

So, hi ho hi ho, off to the library we go. We live in a smallish village and I was surprised to learn that we had our very own library just down the road from our home. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but suffice to say my expectations were relatively low.

How wrong I was! The children applied for and successfully procured their very own library cards. Both picked out books to enjoy during the school holidays and I found the book I was looking for as well as one I didn't know I wanted to read (that's one of the reasons I go to book stores)!

The librarian was so helpful and despite a very small room the library had an extensive selection of books, especially the children's area. When I was about 10 years old, I declared I wanted to be a librarian when I grew up. I am now considering a career change. I won't need as much money since I will be saving all that money borrowing books rather buying them!

4 comments:

Marla said...

I don't find much time to read nowdays but I love to browse the bookstores and libraries. I have many books here at home just waiting to be read!

Janell said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe a person who loves to read as much as you do has only just now discovered the Library! I would be lost without my Libraries. (I have cards at two of them), especially the cookbook sections!

LaDawn said...

I have always just gone to the book stores. I would be afraid to use a library cookbook. You should see the state of my cook books!

I love to write in my books, especially my cook books. I highlight passages and write down the date I cooked something and for whom and what I/they thought of it. I hope to pass these down to future generations....couldn't really do that with a library book.

Sue said...

I couldn't afford or find room for all the books I read. Library cards are one of the first things I get when I move to a new town.