Tuesday 22 January 2008

Milk Toast

When I'm feeling blue I eat milk toast. My Grandma Andersen (my mother's mother) used to make this for me all the time when I spent the night with her and I am instantly transported back to the warmth and security of my childhood when a bowl is placed in front of me.

"What is milk toast?" I hear y'all ask.

OK, so here it is: the secret to my happiness.

A bowl of warm milk with melted butter and generous salt and pepper. Add a piece of (yet more) buttered toast. Let the toast soak up the milk until it is well soggy. There will be loads of milk for (yet more) toast. Eat until feeling better. This could take a while.

I rarely have to resort to this calorific extravaganza these days since my life is so full of joy and happiness but I think I might have to have me one before work tomorrow! It might help me choose an attitude better suited to productivity than say the one I've had for the last 2 days.

2 comments:

Janell said...

Mom always made milk toast for me when I was sick. It is the ultimate comfort food.

Sue said...

I remember milk toast. When we were sick it was the first thing we were offered to eat. 7up was also a sick day offering. I still don't care for 7up unless I have an upset stomach.
Sue