Thursday 3 May 2007

Sleep Walking

My husband sleep walks. And not just a little bit either. I mean a lot. And in the most inconvenient of places and the most inconvenient of times.

The very first time he ever stayed over at my apartment, I awoke a few hours after falling asleep to find him standing over in a corner of the room making doggie paddling motions. When I asked him what he was doing he informed me he was catching the frogs. I then suggested that maybe my apartment didn't have any frogs and that maybe he should consider coming back to bed. He did. Not sure what he did with all the frogs he had already captured.

A few months later I awoke to find him standing in front of the bedroom windows sweeping down the curtains with his hands. When I asked him what he was doing, he informed me that he was collecting electricity. This was amazing. I didn't realise there was electricity in my curtains. I thought we had found a renewable source of energy. Alas, I politely asked him to return to bed and we could explore this in the morning. He unfortunately had no recollection of his exploration antics and had not properly stored any energy he collected the night before.

During the American troop invasion of Afghanistan we had been watching the progress of the battles on CNN. This night I awoke to find my husband had taken down the curtain rail in the bedroom and laid it across his lap. When I enquired about his activities he told me to be quiet, he was removing the bombs. Clearly, we had watched too much CNN that night. Amazingly, he put the curtain rail back up in his sleep.

I still wake up to find him wandering around occassionally. It's not nearly as alarming now as it used to be. I just tell him to get back in bed and he does after some incoherent mumbling. The tendency has been passed down genetically to our daughter. Abigail has been found in her closet and behind her door. Not exactly sure what she thought she was doing or how she got there but she was clearly having a late night wander just like her daddy!

1 comment:

Janell said...

I remember sleepwalking once when I was 9 or 10 and I slammed into a door and bruised my forehead. Talk about a rude awakening! I don't think I've done it since, but I've never stayed awake long enough to find out. :)