Friday 21 September 2007

The Savage Garden by Mark Mills

This book has been in the top 5 bestsellers (paperback) all summer. I had never heard of the author and I was very confused by the premise of the book: set in the late 50s, in Italy, in an ancient garden, 2 murders ( 1 old/1 new) and a young English art student writing his dissertation.

But once you start, you are captivated by this enchanting and original story. The mysterious plot is full of twists and turns. It took me a while to figure out what it was all about. But once it falls into place, you are swept along and the detailed descriptions of the Italian landscape are beautifully written evoking smell and temperature as well as the vistas. The characters are original and funny without being caricatures. The ending was a real shocker.

This is not a long book. Nor is it an intellectually challenging read. But if you enjoy a nice little murder mystery to relax with on a rainy day (or 2), this book is for you. Especially if you love Italy as much as I do!

2 comments:

Sue said...

The Kite Runner is waiting on hold for me at our library. I have been on the waiting list for about 2 months. I have about 30 pages left in the one I am reading now, Grasshopper. Have you read it? It is set in London and kind of different.
Sue

LaDawn said...

Grasshopper is written by Barbara Vine aka Ruth Rendell. I am not a fan of Ruth Rendell so I have steered clear of the novel. I've also heard it isn't her b est. But I will wait until you have finished, write a book review on your blog and I will make a decision make on your recommendation. Even if it says read it, I'll do it!

PS You will love The Kite Runner. Make sure you have nothing else planned and unless you want to cry in public, settle into a very quiet warm private place.