Sunday 17 December 2006

I Am Time Magazine's Person of the Year

Not me specifically, but me collectively. The sheer fact that I've started this blog has included me in the category of those referenced by Time magazine. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1569514,00.html?aid=434&from=o&to=http%3A//www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0%2C9171%2C1569514%2C00.html

OK, so hardly anyone ever reads my blog. Even my family (who should have the highest interest) is sadly disinterested. Very few people leave comments. Even fewer read the comments I leave in response to their comments. I write everyday. No one reads.

I have read (on someone else's blog) that most blogs die after the first post, ie they are never updated again. Now this I don't get. I worked so hard to get the template right and actually figure out how to do the whole thing that I can't imagine putting in the work and then just walking away. Equally, a large number of blogs are abandoned after the first month. OK, so this I get. If a tree falls in the forest, does it matter, if no one is going to use the wood? If I write a blog and no one reads it, what is the point? Well, if I was philosophical I suppose it could be looked at like writing a journal that no one reads until you die. But what is the point in that?

There has been some upside to this whole blogging thing. I am now very conscious to ensure I take photos of our everyday life so I have something to show for it on the blog. I do upload and categorise these photographs which is far more than I used to do. I was lucky to remember the camera for events like yesterday's visit with Santa and would certainly have left them on the memory card for quite a long time if I didn't feel I had a blog responsibility.

And I keep telling myself I am creating a record of my family's life which in later years my children's children may find fascinating reading (or not as the case may be). Probably by then the technology would have moved in so far that no one will actually be able to access this blog. Remember those old 9mm film strips.....heck, who actually owns a VCR nowadays?

But, hey, I feel good about myself because I am keeping up with the revolution. I am reading all sorts of other people's blog and learning about all those things I don't yet know. I wouldn't have even found out about the being a person of the year so early if I had read http://www.huffingtpost.com/ I even figured out how to get my blog indexed on Google and technorati. If you enter our family name on Google you get my blog. No entirely sure how many people will enter our name but how much fun am I having? Besides if I hadn't done this, I wouldn't be Time Person of the Year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't give up LaDawn, you're doing really well, as you say - mundane, but never dull. (By the way I still have a VCR, albeit integral to a small TV) Keep up your brilliant efforts. VĂ©da

LaDawn said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Soon you won't be able to buy videos....